Monday, November 21, 2011

New Beginnings...

Ok, so can I just talk about what God has done for me? He amazes me. Continually. It's late and I need to be up early but I just can't take it anymore, He so good and I can't sleep. This happens to me semifrequently. It is true that I did have a major coffee and sugar overdose but who can blame me? You can blame me, yes, yes, but the point I am trying to make here is I got the job I have dreamed of and asked for--yesterday I began working at a coffeeshop! Why a dream of a coffeeshop? Last year on the 22nd of November I moved out of my home in BC for a 40 day period in which God did marvelous heart-work and inner life change, among other things like showing how wonderfully He provides for what we need. I didn't have a job during that time but was completely taken care of. He even payed my way (through friends) to have an amazing OneThing Conference experience in Kansas City at the end of the 40 days. This is not the time or place to go into detail on that, however during that time I began to seek God on what His desires were for me and what desires I had, that were long buried out of necessity and other "stuff". One of the first things to surface was the longing to work at a coffeeshop. I have dear relatives and friends who do, and I have secretly or not always wanted to try it. I love interacting with people and hospitality type ventures. When I was growing up we could never have people over to our house enough, if you asked me. This draw, coupled with the desire to spread the hope and gospel of Jesus Christ to everyone in any way and a love for the atmosphere of a coffeehouse,made me feel I had found a "calling". I applied at Barnes and Noble Starbucks. When I wasn't hired and other things came up, it became obvious the timing was off. I spent the winter and spring painting and living in Wisconsin with extended family, helping them out and enjoying myself. One lovely June evening of this year I was sitting in my room journaling when an idea that got me crazy excited dropped into my mind. In case you were wondering, it was 11:11 PM to be precise, most of you weren't, but there you go! That was extra! For many reasons I felt God was showing I would be a part of starting a Jesus Coffeehouse--somewhere out in the open where we could worship Him and love on people--among so many things that fall into those two categories. Missions local and to the nations are included in there, but this is the brief summary. Anyway, this fall I was feeling called to move to Sioux Falls to be better prepared and answer my calling, as of then I wasn't completely sure how that would work or what the calling was exactly. There were many things that weren't working out and I unsuccesfully "moved out" a few times only to return for various reasons and be somewhat frustrated and confused. "I thought you wanted me to go, Lord!?" Well, He did, my timing was just rushed and off as usual. PATIENCE. I did a lot of asking, seeking and knocking this fall, and packed up most of my stuff on Friday, 11-11-11 feeling like that was the day to make the final move. I had a family lined up to live with and the possibility of getting the call that this nearby coffeehouse had hired me at any moment. None of that worked out. The family told me it would not be a good time to bring my stuff over and no matter how much I anguished inside, the "you're hired" call never came. While I was shopping at Savers with my family though, I had a sweet opportunity to pray with a lady who God highlighted to me with a health need, and we both were blessed and in tears. I also met up with the amazing Becky Brunz (whom introduced in the last post)and her boys there. That night Brunz's were having a memorial for their child Vision Nevaeh, who brought heaven's perspective on life when her 5+ month life ended in a miscarriage. They courageously shared about God's goodness and how He was using this for good in thier lives all He is doing. A whole nother beautiful but painful story. Afterward Emilee, my sister, suggested that my friends and I invite ourselves over to the Brunz's for worship. Which is what we did. They invited us to spend the night, so we did. I had no idea what direction my life was going to take, but decided to stay the weekend in Sioux Falls while things unfolded. No phone call the next morning, but I had given up on worry and decided that obviously my Dad would work it out and I didn't have to be concerned. Joyfully I took up the obvious thing to do--help Becky paint! We began the project described in the previous post and God showed me just how much fun it is to be serving, and not worrying about the next step. Besides a relationship with Jesus, there is really nothing more fulfilling in life! How freeing this was! So for 6 days we painted and primed together and just as I was applying paint before wrapping up for the weekend last Friday, the call came. I got the job! A week exactly after I thought I needed to know. The Brunz's offered me their home until I can get a place with some dear single lady friends of mine at the beginning of the new year. Transportation is a bit sketchy, but my family has offered their little red car on occasion and I know it will all come together as time goes on...or it wont because God will have something better. He always does. Far above what we could ask, think or imagine.
There is much more to this story and sidenotes upon sidenotes of little things God has done since, but I will begin to close. I am so thankful for this new open door. It is also the next step in starting a Christian coffeehouse; because first I need to learn the ropes of a Cafe owner, and I am told that my new workplace is an ideal fit for such an education. I am enjoying it so much so far, and constantly thanking God for this opportunity. It seems this is the path He is leading me down--the coffeehouse one--but He is welcomed to interrupt at anytime because His ways are far above of mine!
Goodmorning. It is now 3 AM and I need to get up in 4 hours to begin work at this amazing place. Now that I got this out here, hopefully I can sleep ;)
Be blessed by this amazing Father!

2 comments:

  1. so even though it was 3 AM on the 22nd when this was posted I think it is cool that it says 11:24, which is Thanksgiving this year. So much to be thankful for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "God showed me just how much fun it is to be serving, and not worrying about the next step. Besides a relationship with Jesus, there is really nothing more fulfilling in life!"

    I love that...Brooke! I am so glad you're posting about these turn-of-events. So much to be thankful for is right! May I first say, CONGRATS! on getting the job. You are a cute barista already, I can tell ;) I am learning so much by your steps of faith. Thank you for sharing. We will talk soon (free tomorrow after 12pm)

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete